☯ Pungent (xīnlà 辛辣) flavor and warm (nuǎn 暖) thermal nature and is affiliated with the Liver, Spleen, and Stomach meridians.
❊ Active Compounds: Carqueja is a perennial plant characterized by its green stem. It is found in South America. It belongs from the Asteraceae family. The plant contains up to 20% flavonoids, including quercetin, luteolin, nepetin, apigenin, and hispidulin[ 318 ]. These are considered the main active constituents[ 318 ]. Studies have shown that hispidulin has a particularly beneficial effect upon the Liver, though it is more effective when used in combination with the whole plant
☛ Clinical Usage and Indications:
- Resolves Damp: relieves fluid retention, as it has a diuretic effect, promoting the elimination of the liquid retained in the body and reducing swelling;
- Strengthens the Spleen/Pancreas, regularizes Spleen dysfunction, it is a natural aide for diabetes, having the ability to lower blood sugar levels, and is believed to lower blood pressure
- Tonify Stomach: is used for reducing stomach acidity, gastritis, indigestion, heartburn, and inflammation, and as treatment for ulcers among others. Stops vomiting, due to Stomach Coldness. Carqueja strengthens intestinal function and also has a history of use as an agent to expel intestinal worms.
- Antioxidant to boost defence systems against stress and neuro degeneration, also It has antiviral activity
- Benefits Heart: decreases blood pressure in people diagnosed with hypertension, also decreases cholesterol due to the presence of saponins in its composition, which helps prevent cholesterol absorption
- Detoxify Liver: carqueja is used primarily to treat Liver diseases, to strengthen intestinal function, and to help purge obstructions of the Liver and Gallbladder (Gallbladder stones) detoxifying the liver, as it contains flavonoids in the composition that exert a protective function of the liver
- It has also shown an in vitro inhibition of HIV virus replication in T-cells, which seems to be mainly due to the substance 3,5-dicaffeoylquinic acid which is found in the plant.This substance is a potent inhibitor of HIV at dosages as low as only 1 mcg/ml (1)
❀ Directions: Make a tea with the branches.
☢ Precaution: Do not use during the flowering period as it may contain fungi.
From The Tao of Tummy book ©