☯ Sweet (tián 甜), slightly bitter (kú苦), and astringent (Sin 涩), neutral (zhōng xìng 中性) thermal nature and is affiliated with the Lung, Spleen, Stomach and Large Intestine.
❊ Active compounds: Pomegranate is packed with poluphenols, a powerful antioxidant that helps protect the body’s cells from free-radical damage (the stuff that is linked to certain cancers, inflammation, and signs of aging)., they are also a great source of potassium, an important electrolyte for healthy muscles, Pomegranate fruit has a leathery rind (or husk) with many little pockets of edible seeds and juice inside. It’s very rich in tannins.
☛ Clinical Usage and Indications:
- Spleen: induce astringency, stopping prolonged diarrhea, dysentery. Pomegranate husk/rind (shi liu pi) treats rectal prolapse, vaginal discharge, leukorrhea, hematuria vaginal. For chronic diarrhea due to Spleen-Yang deficiency combine pomegranate peel with Bai Shu (Atractylodes rhizomes), Dang Shen (codonopsis roots) and Fu Ling (poria-cocos mushrooms). For prolapse of the rectum combine pomegranate peel with Huang Qi Radix Astragali) and Sheng Ma (Black Cohosh Rhizome).
- Stomach: kills intestinal parasytes, tapeworms (It also is used topically for ringworm), abdominal pain. The dried ripe fruit (with seeds removed) is used in Tibetan medicine to restore weak digestive heat, to correct indigestion and loss of appetite. For taenia or roundworms combine pomegranate peel with Bin Lang (Areca nuts). Treat dry throat, coughs and thirst due to Stomach-Yin deficiency. For a sore dry throat the seeds are crushed, water is added and the mixture simmered, strained, cooled, and consumed. For a persistent cough, eat the seeds, that is the fruit of one almost ripe pomegranate before bedtime
- Large Intestine: astringes the Intestines and stops diarrhea.
- Tonifies Kidneys Essence: pomegranate husk/rind (called shi liu pi) is used to treat spermatorrhea and premature ejaculation, uterine bleeding, due to kidney
- Lung: the dried ripe fruit (with seeds removed) is used in Tibetan medicine to treat Wind-Cold and disorders of the Lungs
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-infection: A 2012 clinical trial of about 100 dialysis patients suggested that pomegranate juice may help ward off infections. In the study, the patients who were given pomegranate juice three times a week for a year had fewer hospitalizations for infections and fewer signs of inflammation, compared with patients who got the placebo The recommendation is to take those seeds and the skin of the fruit, crush them together, add salt, and cover them with water, then steam them. When done, no time indicated, they say to drink the decoction three time a day.
- Nourishes Yin: Promote regeneration of body fluid, quenching thirst.
- NCCIH (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health) funded studies are investigating how pomegranate extracts may affect arthritis.
❀ Directions: Pomegranate is made into capsules, extracts, teas, powders, and juice products.
☢ Precaution: This herb should not be taken during the early stages of diarrhea and dysentery. When using it for parasites, it should not be taken with oils or fats to minimize absorption of the toxin into the system. Some people may be allergic to pomegranate. In rare cases, people who have eaten pomegranate fruit for many years have developed an allergic reaction that causes their tongue or face to swell. Overdoses of this fruit can cause problems including vomiting, dizziness, chills, temporary or permanent vision problems. Certainly eating large amounts of the skin are known to be poisonous. Knowing this, is recommends the rind as an anti-diarrhetic and the use of it for dysentery. Do so carefully because the skin can cause serious gastric irritation, even in small amounts.
From Tao of Tummy book ©