☯ Sour (suãn 酸) and astringent (Sin 涩) flavor, and cold (Lěng 冷) thermal nature and its affiliated with Kidney and Liver meridians.
❊ Active Compounds: Açai powder is a rich source of protective antioxidants, omega fatty acids, amino acids, and dietary fiber. The açai berries’ nutrient content is mostly preserved in the freeze drying process. Among many findings, anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, and other flavonoids were found to be the major phytochemicals in açai berry. The total content of anthocyanins was measured as 3 mg per gram of dry weight. The concentration of total proanthocyanidins was calculated as 13 mg/g dry weight. Other flavonoids homoorietin, isovitexin, scoparin, and taxifolin deoxyhexose, along with several other unknown flavonoids were also detected. In addition components including fatty acids, amino acids, steroids, minerals, and other nutrients were founded. This fruit comes from a palm tree known by the Brazilians as “the tree of life”. Was introduced at the Western market around the year 2000.
☛ Clinical Usage and Indications:
- Clears Heat, stop thirst, and due to its astringent property also arrests hemorrhaging
- Very powerful antioxidant properties (higher than cranberry, raspberry and blueberry) that play a role in our cellular protection system, helping to keep cells strong agains the invasion of free radicals associated with disease and aging. Consumption of acai pulp and acai juice actually increases antioxidant concentration in the blood, which shows that the nutrients are effectively absorbed by the human body
- The pigment red or orange corresponds to carotenoids, anthocyanins, licopene, ficobiliproteins, and bioflavonoids
- Tonify Stomach. Promotes a clean digestive system due to the powerful detoxification capacities in the human body besides being a good source of dietary fiber
- Anti-inflammation properties: have been found cyclooxyrgenase (COX)-1 and (COX)-2 inhibitor activity on the fruit
- Protects DNA from damage,
- Supporting an anti-aging process. Açai berries may contribute to an ability to slow or reverse typical processes of aging related to oxidative damage and also improves mental function
- Moves Qi. Blood vessel vasodilator: improving overall blood circulation, and relaxing the blood vessels, polyphenols in açai berry have the ability to act was vasodilators, preventing blood clots
- Benefits Kidneys helping on osteoarthritis and arthritis improving in range of motion
- Suppresses the grown of cancer due to the very high content of vitamin C and elegiac acid, an immune system boosting combination. Is thought that açai phytochemicals can stop the process of carcinogenesis on a molecular level, killing off tumorous cells before they multiply. Açaí is not a cure for cancer but play a potential role in the fight
❀ Directions: Take 2 g. of capsules or 1 oz açai berry powder mixed with water. The inconvenient with açai berries is that they cannot be dried and transported due to the high fat content which inhibits the drying process. Açai juice is the best way to enjoy the nutritional benefits.
☢ Precaution: Açai berries can sometimes interact adversely with chemotherapy drugs since they contain antioxidant properties. it is best to consult with the oncologist before consumption.
From Tao of Tummy book ©