☯ Sweet (tián 甜) and pungent (xīnlà 辛辣) flavor, cool (liáng 涼) thermal nature and is affiliated with the Lungs, Liver and Large Intestine meridians.
❊ Active compounds:
Broccoli contains ß-carotene and glutathione that fights against cancer. It adds brilliance to the skin and defies aging on cellular level. Its chlorophyll helps prevent arteriosclerosis. Broccoli also contains vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K (enhance cognitive function and improve brainpower), and fiber. One cup of broccoli provides 150 percent of daily vitamin C and 20 percent of fiber required .Contains beneficial amounts of phytochemicals that repair the DNA, block the development of cancer cells and support the immune system due to their antiviral, antibacterial and anticancer properties. Broccoli has been proven to prevent the development of prostate cancer as well. It is one of the best brain foods for the high amount of vitamin K and choline, it will help keep your memory sharp. Broccoli is high in compounds called glucosinolates, it can slow the breakdown of the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, which we need for the central nervous system to perform properly and to keep our brains and our memories sharp. Low levels of acetylcholine are associated with Alzheimer’s
☛ Clinical Usage and Indications:
- Nourishes Yin promoting purgation by moistening and nourishing the intestines. Dry stool or constipation of weak constitution, old aged or due to Intestinal dryness. Blanch broccoli and eat around 250 g a day
- Clears Heat, relieving restlessness. Promotes reproduction of body fluids and stop thirst
- Tonifies Liver and promote eyesight. Dizziness, blurred vision due to Liver Heat or Liver Yin deficiency
- Cools Liver and Blood and purifies it, on epistaxis and hemafecia take 250 g broccoli and make a soup. Cook only 2 – 3 minutes
- Prevents anemia, and arteriosclerosis and osteoarthritis
❀ Directions: Eat steamed, roasted, stir-fried, or raw. Do not overcook broccoli, though Sulforaphane is Heat resistant, only one-third of its vitamin C is left when it is subject to strong Heat (Sulforaphane is a molecule within the isothiocyanate group of organosulfur compounds. It exhibits anticancer and antimicrobial properties in experimental models).
☢ Precaution: Hemophilia patients and those with blood clotting or bleeding disorders should not eat it broccoli.
♨︎ Cream of Broccoli with Cauliflower
6 flowers whole broccoli
6 flowers whole cauliflower
Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
Pepper to taste
Herbs to taste (parsley, chives, basil, oregano)
Sea salt to taste
1 liter of water
2 tablespoons flaxseed
In saucepan put water, broccoli, cauliflower, herbs and salt. Cook until tender flowers. Put everything in a blender, blend until creamy. Serve warm (if you want to add drops of lemon). Once ready add the black pepper kingdom and flaxseed, then drizzle with a little olive oil.
From The Tao of Tummy © book