Contains about 2-2.8% volatile oil which is the most effective part of the plant.
Clinical Usage and Indications:
- Dispels dampness. For accumulation of dampness in middle jiao: use with Cang Zhu (Swordlike Rhizome), Hou Po (Magnolia Bark). Make a tea
- Disperses summer-heat, relieving exterior syndrome. For summer-heat and damp or early stage of damp-heat syndrome: steam with egg for 5 minutes and eat
- Stop vomiting and alleviates nausea. Use with Ban Xia (Panel Tuber) to make a tea. Cook Ban Xia 15 – 20 minutes, add Huo Xiang in the last 3 – 5 minutes
- Dermatosis and fungal infections affecting either the hands or feet
- Headache caused by nasal obstruction
- Vomiting and diarrhea accompanying abdominal pain
Directions: Eat decocted or steam together with eggs.
Precaution: Yin Deficiency with Heat patterns, or Stomach-Fire.